The qualitative and quantitative analyses of Talinum triangulare (water leaf) leaf which is commonly used as vegetable in Nigeria were carried out on both dry and wet samples. The result of dry and wet samples revealed the presence of bioactive compounds namely flavonoids (69.80±4.42 mg/100 g and 58.33 ± 9.00 mg/100 g), alkaloids (55.56±5.00 mg/100 g and 13.89±5.00 mg/100 g), saponins (1.48±0.20 mg/100 g and 1.37±0.60 mg/100 g) and tannins (1.44±0.73 mg/100 g and 1.09±0.26 mg/100 g) respectively. The results indicate that the leaves contain an appreciable amount of bioactive compounds. Medically the presence of these phytochemicals explains the use of this vegetable in ethnomedicine for the management of various ailments.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
P.M. Aja, A.N.C. Okaka, P.N. Onu, U. Ibiam and A.J. Urako, 2010. Phytochemical Composition of Talinum triangulare (Water Leaf) Leaves. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 9: 527-530.
- Adebayo, A.S., I.A. Gbadamosi and C.O. Adewunmi, 2000. Formations of Antimicrobial Dried Powdered Herbs in Soap Bases. In: Phyto Medicines in Malaria and Sexually Transmitted Diseases; Challenges for the New Millennium, Adewunmi, C.O. and S.K. Adesina (Eds.). Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, pp: 97.
- Aletor, V.A. and O.A. Adeogun, 1995. Nutrient and anti-nutrient components of some tropical leafy vegetables. Food Chem., 53: 375-379.
- Burton, G.W. and K.U. Ingold, 1984. β-Carotene: An unusual type of lipid antioxidant. Science, 224: 569-573.
- Heikens, H., E. Fliers, E. Endert, M. Ackermans and G. Van Mont Frans, 1995. Liquorice-induced hypertension, a new understanding of an old disease. J. Med., 47: 230-234.
- Fasakin, K., 2004. Proximate composition of bungu (Ceratotheca sesamoides Endl.) leaves and seeds. Biokemistri, 16: 88-92.
- Oloyede, O.I., 2005. Chemical profile of unripe pulp of Carica papaya. Pak. J. Nutr., 4: 379-381.
- Onwuka, G.I., 2005. Food Analysis and Instrumentation: Theory and Practice. 1st Edn., Naphthali Prints, Lagos, Nigeria, Pages: 219.
- Palozza, P., 1998. Pro-oxidant actions of carotenoids in biologic systems. Nutr. Rev., 56: 257-265.
- Schneider, G. and J. Wolfling, 2004. Synthetic cardenolides and related compounds. Curr. Org. Chem., 8: 1381-1403.
Adeabyo oluwatobi Reply
i need complete analysis of water leaf talinum trigulae
plx i need 2 knw the english and botanic name of oha leaf and its phytochemical analysis
Daniel Felix Evans Reply
history of phytochemical analysis of talinum triang ulare leaves
Saleh Christopher Aji Reply
I need it sir/Boss