The hepatoprotective activity of the ethanol extract of Curcuma longa was investigated against paracetamol (acetaminophen, 4-hydroxy acetanilide)-induced liver damage in rats. Paracetamol at 600 mg kg-1, induced liver damage in rats manifested by statistically increased serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and alkaline phosphatase (ALP). Histologically, livers from these rats revealed parenchymal necrosis and massive inflammation. Pretreatment of rats with the ethanolic extract of Curcuma longa (100 mg kg-1) prior to paracetamol dosing lowered serum liver enzyme activities. Livers of these rats showed normal histology. These results suggested that ethanolic extract of Curcuma longa has potent hepatoprotective effect against paracetamol-induced liver damages in rats.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
M.N. Somchit, A. Zuraini, A. Ahmad Bustamam, N. Somchit, M.R. Sulaiman and R. Noratunlina, 2005. Protective Activity of Turmeric (Curcuma longa) in Paracetamol-induced Hepatotoxicity in Rats. International Journal of Pharmacology, 1: 252-256.
- Wuthi-Udomler, M., W. Grisanapan, O. Luanratana and W. Caichompoo, 2000. Antifungal activity of Curcuma longa grown in Thailand. Southeast Asian J. Trop. Med. Public Health, 31: 178-182.
- Kaplowitz, N., 2001. Drug-induced liver disorders: Implications for drug development and regulation. Drug Safety, 24: 483-490.
- Ames, B.N., M.K. Shigenaga and T.M. Hagen, 1993. Oxidants, antioxidants and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA., 90: 7915-7922.
- Deshpande, U.R., S.G. Gadre, A.S. Raste, D. Pillai, S.V. Bhide and A.M. Samuel, 1998. Protective effect of turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) extract on carbon tetrachloride-induced liver damage in rats. Indian J. Exp. Biol., 36: 573-577.
- Vermeulen, N.P.E., J.G.M. Bessems, R. van de straat, 1992. Molecular aspects of paracitamol-induced hepatotoxicity and its mechanism of prevention. Drug Metabol. Rev., 24: 367-407.