The objective of the present study was to evaluate the morphometry and carcass traits of Creole goats sacrificed and packed in a Federal Inspection Plant (FIP). The study was carried out in a FIP abattoir during May and June 2004. Fifty Creole male goats, 40 to 50 days old were used, brought form nearby family farms. Goats were transported without stops and they were not fed, nor provided with water. Carcasses were graded and 11 indicators were measured: both hot and cold carcass yields, cold carcass temperature, viscera weight, morphometry and pH, among others. When comparing the hot carcass weight with and without viscera (5.03 vs. 4.55), the values measured indicated that viscera represented 20.22% of the animals weight. The difference observed between hot carcass and cold carcass weight was 4.55 vs. 4.28 kg, respectively. Positive correlations were determined (R = 0.96) between hind-limbs (R = 0.65) and forelimbs (R = 0.69), as well as the one registered of both limbs with the hind and fore canes` perimeters. On the other hand, the abdominal and thoracic regions were highly correlated (R = 0.9). This is an indicator of the animal biotype, which shows that these animals are long linear with highly developed limbs. The pH mean of the hot carcass and the cold carcass was 6.06 and 5.97, respectively.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
M. Becerril-Herrera, O. Guzman-Pina, M. Alonso-Spilsbury, E.V. Dorsey-San Vicente, C. Lemus-Flores, S. Flores-Peinado, R. Ramirez-Necoechea and D. Mota-Rojas, 2006. Morphometry, Carcass Yield and Traits of Mexican Creole Goat Kids Slaughtered and Packed in a Federal Inspection Plant. Journal of Biological Sciences, 6: 604-609.
- Colomer-Rocher, F., P. Morand-Fehr and A.H. Kirton, 1987. Standard methods and procedures for goat carcass evaluation, jointing and tissue separation. Livestock Prod. Sci., 17: 149-159.
- Hernandez-Zepeda, J.S., F.J. Franco, M. Herrera, E. Rodero, A.C. Sierra, A.Y. Banuelos and J.V. Delgado, 2002. Estudio de los recursos geneticos de Mexico: Caracteristicas morfologicas y morfo-estructurales de los caprinos nativos de Puebla. Archivos de Zootecnia, 51: 53-64.
- Kannan, G., B. Koaukou, T.H. Terrill and S. Gelaye, 2003. Endocrine, blood metabolite and meat quality changes in goat as influenced by short term, preslaughter stress. J. Anim. Sci., 81: 1499-1507.
- NOM-024-Z00, 1995. Norma oficial Mexicana NOM-024-ZOO-1995, Especificaciones y caracteristicas zoosanitarias para el transporte de animales, sus productos y subproductos, productos quimicos, farmaceuticos, biologicos y alimenticios para uso en animales o consumo por estos. Diario Oficial Feder., 10: 16-95.
- Sheridan, R., L.C. Hoffman and A.V. Ferreira, 2003. Meat quality of Boer goat kids and mutton merino lambs 1. Commercial yields and chemical composition. Anim. Sci., 76: 63-71.