Fifteen female and ten castrated yearling Tswana goats were weighed and randomly divided into five groups of five goats of which 3 were females and 2 were males. The objectives of the project was to determine effects of T. serecia and B. albitrunca at two levels on faecal egg worm count, bacterial count and bacterial identification. All the goats were fed buffel grass hay (Cenchrus ciliaris) as a basal diet, while Medicago sativa (0% tannin content) was fed to the control group as a supplements. The other four groups were fed low B. albitrunca (0.267% tannin in diet), high B. albitrunca (0.497% tannin in diet), Low T. serecia (0.342% tannin in diet) and high T. serecia (0.497% tannin in diet) as a supplement. The basal diet comprised of 60% of the ration, while Lucerne or the browses made up the remaining 40%. Wheat bran was provided at 250 g to provide energy for the goats. Water was provided daily. The study lasted for 60 days and faecal sampling was done fortnightly from the rectum of the goats in the morning. The faecal samples which were collected fortnightly from rectum of the goats were used for evaluation of egg worm count and bacterial identification. After a week of feeding T. sericea there was significant reduction on egg worm count (p<0.05), while on other treatments there were no significant differences in all faecal sampling dates (p>0.05).
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
A.A. Aganga, U.J. Omphile and T.M. Sebolai, 2006. Faecal Microbial Flora of Tswana Goats Fed Cenchrus ciliaris Hay as Basal Diet and Terminalia sericea or Boscia albitrunca as Supplement. Journal of Biological Sciences, 6: 1108-1112.
- Paolini, V., A. Frayssines, F. De La Farge, D. Philippe and H. Herve, 2003. Effects of condensed tannins on established populations and on incoming larvae of Trichostrongylus colubriformis and Teladorsagia circumcincta in goats. Vet. Res., 34: 331-339.
- Aganga, A.A., K. Tshireletso and M. Mathaio, 2000. Condensed tannin content in seeds of twenty browse species in Botswana, Optimal feeding of grazing animals in Botswana. Proceeding of Livestock Feeding Systems Workshop Held at Centre for in-Service and Continuing Education, 2000, Botswana College of Agriculture, Gaborone, Botswana, pp: 226-229.
- Madibela, O.R and K. Jansen, 2003. The use of indigenous parasitic plants (Viscum verrocosum) in reducing faecal egg counts in female tswana goats. Livestock Res. Rural Dev., Vol. 15.
- Max, R.A., D. Wakelin, A.E. Kimambo, A.A. Kassuku, L.A. Mtenga and P.J. Buttery, 2004. Effect of tannin extract drenches on nematode infections in temperate and tropical small ruminants. Proceedings of 8th International Goat Association conference held in University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa.