Subscribe Now Subscribe Today
Science Alert
 
Blue
   
Curve Top
Asian Journal of Agricultural Research
  Year: 2011 | Volume: 5 | Issue: 1 | Page No.: 28-44
DOI: 10.3923/ajar.2011.28.44
 
Facebook Twitter Digg Reddit Linkedin StumbleUpon E-mail

Essence of Crop Diversification: A Study of West Bengal Agriculture

Bidyut Kumar Ghosh

Abstract:
This study deals with the study of the diversification of agricultural activities of the West Bengal, one of the leading agricultural state in India. Using the Minhas and Parikh substitution and expansion effects methodology this study revealed that the cropping pattern in West Bengal in terms of allocation of acreage had been skewed towards food grain. However, during the last fifteen to twenty years some important crops (boro rice, potato, oilseeds, especially mustard) emerged as the main crop for the farmers. The cropping pattern turned against pulses, coarse cereals and sugarcane. It was also found that in the cropping pattern changes the expansion effect could explain 54.69% of the gross cropped area and the remaining 45.31% of the gross cropped area was due to the substitution effect.
PDF Fulltext XML References Citation Report Citation
 RELATED ARTICLES:
  •    Growth Trends and Sources of Output Growth for Oil Palm and Groundnut Production in Nigeria (1961-2007)
  •    Climate Change and Food Security in Africa
  •    Measurement of Allocative Efficiency in Agriculture and its Determinants: Evidence from Rural West Bengal, India
  •    Contribution of Moringa (Moringa stenopetala, Bac.), a Highly Nutritious Vegetable Tree, for Food Security in South Ethiopia: A Review
How to cite this article:

Bidyut Kumar Ghosh , 2011. Essence of Crop Diversification: A Study of West Bengal Agriculture. Asian Journal of Agricultural Research, 5: 28-44.

DOI: 10.3923/ajar.2011.28.44

URL: https://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=ajar.2011.28.44

COMMENT ON THIS PAPER
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Curve Bottom