Culture conditions affecting protease production by Bacillus licheniformis isolated from Tihamet Aseer, Saudi Arabia were investigated. The bacterium strain gave a maximum protease production of 221 U mL-1 when growing in a casein broth medium after 36 h compared with gelatin broth medium. Optimum pH and temperature of protease production were 8 and 50°C, respectively. The highest level of protease production in the presence of soybean meal as a carbon source and the peptone as a nitrogen source was obtained. The protease was optimally active at pH 9 and 55°C . The enzyme was stable at temperature range of 60-65°C during the period tested (1h) and retaining more than 85% of its activity at 70°C. These properties make the enzyme suitable for detergent industry.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Al- Shehri, M. Abdulrahman and Mostafa S. Yasser, 2004. Production and Some Properties of Protease Produced by Bacillus licheniformis Isolated from Tihamet Aseer, Saudi Arabia. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 7: 1631-1635.
- Feng, Y.Y., W.B. Yang, S.L. Ong, J.Y. Hu and W.J. Nig, 2001. Fermentation of starch for enhanced alkaline protease production by constructing an alkalophilic Bacillus pumilus strain. Applied Microbiol. Biotechnol., 57: 153-160.
- Gupta, R., Q. Beg, S. Khan and B. Chauhan, 2002. An overview on fermentation, downstream processing of microbial alkaline proteases. Applied Microbiol. Biotechnol., 60: 381-395.
- Kim, J.M., W.J. Lim and H.J. Suh, 2001. Feather-degrading Bacillus species from poultry waste. Process. Biochem., 37: 287-291.
- Joo, H.S., C.G. Kumar, G.C. Park, K.T. Kim, S.R. Paik and C.S. Chang, 2002. Optimization of the production of an extracellular alkaline protease from Bacillus horikoshii. Process Biochem., 38: 155-159.
- Nilegaonkar, S., P. Kanekar, S. Sarnaik and A. Kelkar, 2002. Production, isolation and characterization of extracellular protease of an alkaliphilic strain of Arthrobacter ramosus, MCM B-351 isolated form the alkaline lake of lonar, India. World J. Microb. Biotechnol., 18: 785-789.
- Gaur, R., J. Yadav and L. Pandey, 1989. Thermostability of extracellular protease enzyme produced by Spicaria fusispora, a thermophilic fungus. Hindustan Antibiotics, 31: 36-37.