Six-hundred forty broilers were allotted into four dietary supplementation of none, 55 ppm bacitracin, 2.5 ppm nosiheptide, or 55 ppm Oxytetracycline (OTC) in a corn-soybean meal basal diet with eight pens in each treatment to investigate the effects of added various Antibiotic Growth Promoters (AGP) in diet on growth performance, immune response and gastrointestinal physiology. Data showed that nosiheptide supplementation but not bacitracin or OTC increased feed efficiency in starter period. The nosiheptide decreased the small intestine weight, IgA-positive cells along the intestinal tract and ileal mucosal secretory IgA (sIgA) concentration but bacitracin and OTC increased the IgA-positive cells in ileum. The nosiheptide supplementation group also elevated ileal sucrase and maltase activities and reduced the Lactobacillus counts in rectal contents as compared to the other treatment groups. In conclusion, the enhanced disaccharidase activity, diminished rectal Lactobacillus counts and reduced immune activated status are possibly the important factors for the improvement of feed efficiency of broilers on dietary nosiheptide supplementation from days 0-21.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
D.N. Lee, S.R. Lyu, R.C. Wang, C.F. Weng and B.J. Chen, 2011. Exhibit Differential Functions of Various Antibiotic Growth Promoters in Broiler Growth, Immune Response and Gastrointestinal Physiology. International Journal of Poultry Science, 10: 216-220.
- Alexander, D.J., H.T. Morris, W.J. Pollitt, C.E. Sharpe and R.L. Eckford et al., 1998. Newcastle disease outbreaks in domestic fowl and turkeys in Great Britain during 1997. Vet. Rec., 143: 209-212.
- Dibner, J.J., C. Knight, G.F. Yi and J.D. Richards, 2007. Gut development and health in the absence of antibiotic growth promoters. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci., 20: 1007-1014.
- Guban, J., D.R. Korver, G.E. Allison and G.W. Tannock, 2006. Relationship of dietary antimicrobial drug administration with broiler performance, decreased population levels of Lactobacillus salivarius and reduced bile salt deconjugation in the ileum of broiler chickens. Poult. Sci., 85: 2186-2194.
- Kim, Y.Y., D.Y. Kil, H.K. Oh and I.K. Han, 2005. Acidifier as an alternative material to antibiotics in animal feed. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci., 18: 1048-1060.
- Lee, D.N., C.F. Weng, Y.H. Cheng, T.Y. Kuo, J.F. Wu and H.T. Yen, 2003. Dietary glutamine supplementation enhances weaned pigs mitogen-induced lymphocyte proliferation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci., 16: 1182-1187.
- Miller, T.L. and M.J. Wolin, 1974. A serum bottle modification of the Hungate technique for cultivating obligate anaerobes. Appl. Microbiol., 27: 985-987.
- NRC., 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th Edn., National Academy Press, Washington, DC., USA., ISBN-13: 9780309048927, Pages: 176.