Crude Protein (CP) from Wolffia meal [Wolffia globosa (L). Wimm.] was used to replace CP from Soybean Meal (SBM) in the diets of broilers to determine its effect on the broilers productive performance and carcass characteristics. Using Completely Randomize Design, 384 ten-day-old broilers were divided into 4 treatments; each treatment consisted of 3 replicates of 16 birds each. The treatments were T1: control diet, T2, T3 and T4: 25, 50 and 75% of CP from SBM was replaced by CP from Wolffia meal, respectively. The results indicated that feed intake, average daily gain, feed conversion ratio, protein efficiency ratio and carcass characteristics of control group were better (p<0.05) than other groups. Skin pigmentation of broilers increased with increasing CP replacement from Wolffia meal. It was concluded that less than 25% of CP from SBM could be replaced by CP from Wolffia meal in broiler diets.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
A. Chantiratikul, P. Pooponpan, S. Santhaweesuk, P. Chantiratikul, A. Sangdee, U. Maneechote, C. Bunchasak and O. Chinrasri, 2010. Effect of Wolffia Meal [Wolffia globosa (L). Wimm.] As a Dietary Protein Replacement on Performance and Carcass Characteristics in Broilers. International Journal of Poultry Science, 9: 664-668.
- Chantiratikul, A., O. Chinrasri, P. Chantiratikul, A. Sangdee, U. Maneechote and C. Bunchasak, 2010. Effect of replacement of protein from soybean meal with protein from Wolffia meal (Wolffia globosa (L.) Wimm.) on performance and egg production in laying hens. Int. J. Poult. Sci., 9: 283-287.
- Davis, A.T. and R.E. Austic, 1982. Threonine imbalance and the threonine requirement of the chicken. J. Nutr., 122: 2170-2176.
- Haustein, A.T., R.H. Gillman, P.W. Skillicorn, V. Guevara and F. Diaz et al., 1992. Compensatory growth in broiler chicks fed on Lemna gibba. Br. J. Nutr., 68: 329-335.
- Huque, K.S., S.A. Chowdhury and S.S. Kibria, 1996. Study on the potentiality of duckweeds as a feed for cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci., 9: 133-137.
- Les, D.H., D.J. Crawford, E. Landolt, J.D. Gabel and R.T. Kimball, 2002. Phylogeny and systematics of lemnaceae, the duckweed family. Syst. Bot., 27: 221-240.
- Men, B.X., B. Ogle and J.E. Lindberg, 2002. Use of duckweed as a protein supplement for breeding ducks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci., 15: 866-871.
- Peng, Y., J.K. Tews and A.E. Harper, 1972. Amino acid imbalance, protein intake and changes in rat brain and plasma amino acids. Am. J. Physiol., 222: 314-321.
- Pooponpan, P., A. Chantiratikul, O. Chinrasri and S. Santhaweesuk, 2009. Evaluation of metabolizable energy of Wolffia meal (Wolffia globosa (L.) Wimm.) in broilers. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Animal Agriculture for Developing Countries, November 8-11, 2009, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp: 229-230.
- Yasukawa, T. and A. Yoshida, 1980. Effects of amino acid imbalance on polysome profiles and 14C-labeled amino acid incorporation into tissue protein in rats. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 26: 461-473.