Distillation process of M. cajuputi Powell leaves to produce cajuput oil, yields a large amount of solid residue as waste materials. In vitro testing was conducted to evaluate the potential of solid residue of M. cajuputi Powell leaves as cattle feed. The measured variables were NH3, volatile fatty acids (VFA), Dry Matter Digestibility (DMD), and Organic Matter Digestibility (DMO). Completely randomized design was made with 5 different treatments and 4 replications, in order to get 20 experimental units. Data was analyzed by analysis of variance (ANOVA), followed by Duncan's multiple range test with a significance level of 5%. The results showed that giving 100% of the solid residue of M. cajuputi Powell leaves produced VFA, DMD and DMO for about 102.25 mM, 59.75% and 42.28% respectively, but with lesser amount of NH3 (2.54mM). These results were significant (P < 0.05) and are higher than the results by using field grass. It can be concluded that the solid residue of M. cajuputi Powell leaves has the potential to be used as cattle feed.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Ana Widiana, Taufikurahman, S.H. Limin, I. Hernaman and R. Manurung, 2014. Utilization of Solid Residue Melaleuca cajuputi Powell Leaves as Cattle Feed. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 13: 554-556.
- Kitta, K., Y. Hagiwara and T. Shibamoto, 1992. Antioxidative activity of an isoflavonoid, 2"-O-glycosylisovitexin isolated from green barley leaves. J. Agric. Food Chem., 40: 1843-1845.
- Russell, J.B., C.J. Sniffen and P.J. van Soest, 1983. Effect of carbohydrate limitation on degradation and utilization of casein by mixed rumen bacteria. J. Dairy Sci., 66: 763-775.
- Slyter, L.L., M.P. Bryant and M.J. Wolin, 1966. Effect of pH on population and fermentation in a continuously cultured rumen ecosystem. Applied Microbiol., 14: 573-578.
- Wahyono, D.E., R. Hardianto, C. Anan, D.B. Wijono, Purwanto and M. Malik, 2003. The strategy of using agricultural and agro-industry waste for the manufacture of complete feed ruminants. Proceedings of the National Seminar, Research and Development Center of Animal Husbandry, September 29-30, 2003, Bogor.
- Widiana, A., S.H. Taufikurahman, I. Limin, Hernaman and R. Manurung, 2014. The potential of gelam leaves (Melaleuca cajuputi Powell) as cattle feed. Pak. J. Nutr., 13: 348-350.