An experiment was conducted to improve the nutrient content of palm kernel cake through fermentation by Eupenicillium javanicum with combination inoculums dosage and fermented time. The experiment used complete randomized design (CRD) with 3x3 factorial and twice replication. The first factor was inoculums dosage: (1) 4, (2) 7 and (3) 10%. The second factor was fermented time: (1) 7 days, (2) 11 days and (3) 15 days. The parameters were dry matter, crude protein, crude fiber and fat of palm kernel cake fermented. The result of study showed that there was highly significant (p<0.01) interaction between inoculums dosage and fermented time to dry matter, crude protein and crude fiber but crude fat was no interaction (p>0.05). Each factor, inoculums dosage and fermented time were significantly (p<0.05) affected to dry matter, crude protein, crude fiber and crude fat. It is concluded that palm kernel cake fermented by Eupenicillium javanicum showed inoculums dosage 10% and fermented time 11 days had a better nutrient content. This condition can be seen in dry matter (42.21%), crude protein 26.27% and crude fiber 11.37% of palm kernel cake fermented.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Mirnawati, Ade Djulardi and Yetti Marlida, 2013. Improving the Quality of Palm Kernel Cake Through Fermentation by Eupenicillium javanicum as Poultry Ration. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 12: 1085-1088.
- Daud, M.J. and M.C. Jarvis, 1992. Mannan of oil palm kernel. Phytochemistry, 31: 463-464.
- Dusterhoft, E.M., A.W. Bonte and A.G.J. Voragen, 1993. Solubilisation of non-starch polysaccharides from oil-seed meals by polysaccharide-degrading enzymes. J. Sci. Food Agric., 63: 211-220.
- Ezieshi, E.V. and J.M. Olomu, 2008. Nutritional evaluation of palm kernel meal types: 2. Effects on live performance and nutrient retention in broiler chicken diets. Afr. J. Biotechnol., 7: 1171-1175.
- Meryandini, A., R. Anggreandari and N. Rachmania, 2008. Isolasi bakteri mananolitik dan karakterisasi mananasenya. Biota, 13: 82-88.
- Mirnawati, Y. Rizal, Y. Marlida and I.P. Kompiang, 2010. The role of humic acid in palm kernel cake fermented by Aspergillus niger for poultry ration. Pak. J. Nutr., 9: 182-185.
- Mirnawati, I.P. Kompiang and S.A. Latif, 2012. Effect of substrate composition and inoculum dosage to improve quality of palm kernel cake fermented by Aspergillus niger. Pak. J. Nutr., 11: 434-438.
- Odunsi, A.A., T.O. Akande, A.S. Yusuph and R.I. Salami, 2002. Comparative utilisation of high inclusion rates of four agro-industrial by-products in the diets of egg type chickens. Arch. Zootec., 51: 465-468.
- Perez, J.F., A.G. Gernat and J.G. Murillo, 2000. Research notes: The effect of different levels of palm kernel meal in layer diets. Poult. Sci., 79: 77-79.