The study on chemical composition and nutritional values of Moringa oleifera leaves has been carried out by analysing samples of this plant leaves collected from three different sectors of Ouagadougou. The analysis of nutrients contents including elemental has been done using recommended method of analysis. The result of analysis shows that the percentages (%) of proteins, moisture, fat, carbohydrate of the leaves are respectively 11.9; 73.9; 1.1 and 10.6% for the cool matter. For the dry matter, the contents in proteins, moisture, fat and carbohydrate are respectively 27.2; 5.9; 17.1 and 38.6%. The result of the mineral composition expressed in mg for 100 g of matters are 847.1; 151.3; 549.6; 17.5; 1.3 and 111.5 in the cool matter respectively for the Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, Zinc and Phosphor. The contents of same minerals analyzed for the dry matter are respectively 2098.1; 406.0; 1922.0; 28.3; 5.4 and 351.1. The result showed a satisfactory composition and a significant variability between the nutrients contents of different sectors. This plant can be valorized for a balanced nutrition of populations.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Charles Windepagnagde Yameogo, Marcel Daba Bengaly, Aly Savadogo, Philippe Augustin Nikiema and Sabadenedyo Alfred Traore, 2011. Determination of Chemical Composition and Nutritional Values of Moringa oleifera Leaves. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 10: 264-268.
- Anwar, F. and M.I. Bhanger, 2003. Analytical characterization of Moringa oleifera seed oil grown in temperate regions of Pakistan. J. Agric. Food. Chem., 51: 6558-6563.
- Anwar, F., S. Latif, M. Ashraf and A.H. Gilani, 2007. Moringa oleifera: A good plant with multiple medicinal uses. Phytother. Res., 21: 17-25.
- Anwar, F., M. Ashraf and M.I. Bhanger, 2005. Interprovenance variation in the composition of Moringa oleifera oilseeds from Pakistan. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 82: 45-51.
- Ibsatou, B., W.N. Shier, E. Xima, R. Fernandez and F. Jacquelyn et al., 2001. Calcium analysis of selected Western African foods. J. Food Composition Anal., 14: 37-42.
- Lockett, C.T., C.C. Calvert and L.E. Grivetti, 2000. Energy and micronutrient composition of dietary and medicinal wild plants consumed during drought. Study of rural Fulani, Northeastern Nigeria. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr., 51: 195-208.
- Morton, J.F., 1991. The horseradish tree, Moringa pterigosperma (Moringaceae): A boon to arid lands. Econ. Bot., 45: 318-333.
- Somali, M.A., M.A. Bajneid and S.S. Al-Fhaimani, 1984. Chemical composition and characteristics of Moringa peregrina seeds and seeds oil. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc., 61: 85-86.
- Lalas, S. and J. Tsaknis, 2002. Characterization of Moringa oleifera seed oil variety Periyakulam 1. J. Food Compos. Anal., 15: 65-77.