Four commercial pyrethroid–based insecticides, cypermethrin, fenvalerate, Killer and Tyfon super 20 were tested as larvicides against a laboratory strain of Culex pipiens and kerosene and Tween 80 1% in kerosene were tested as larvicides and pupicides against the same population. LC50 values of tested pyrethroids were 0.00029 ppm (Cypermethrin), 0.026 ppm (fenvalerate), 0.012 ppm (Killer) and 0.014 ppm (Tyfon super 20). The diagnostic concentrations for cypermethrin and Tyfon Super 20 were 0.015 and 0.07 ppm, respectively. LD50 values for larvae were 33.42 and 13.11 L ha-1 and for pupae 69.74 and 36.1 L ha-1 for kerosene and T 80 in kerosene, respectively. The results showed that the mixture of kerosene + T 80 could be used as an effective larvicide and pupicide at much lower rates of application compared to kerosene alone, which reduces the environmental pollution to a great extend.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Hamdy I. Hussein, DiefAlla Al-Rajhy and Mohamed Al-Assiry, 2005. Toxicity of Four Pyrethroid-based Insecticides and Kerosene to a Laboratory Population of Culex pipiens. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 8: 751-753.
- Bisset, J., M. Rodriguez, A. Soca, N. Pasteur and M. Raymond, 1997. Cross-resistance to pyrethroid and organophosphorus insecticides in the Southern house mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) from Cuba. J. Med. Entomol., 34: 244-246.
- Nielsen, L.C., F. Pasquier, J.F. Charles, G. Singer, B. Gaven and N. Pastteur, 1997. Resistance to Bacillus sphaericus involves different mechanisms in Culex pipiens (Diptera: Culicidae) larvae. J. Med. Entomol., 34: 321-327.
- Wirth, M.C. and G.P. Georghiou, 1996. Organophosphate resistance in Culex pipiens from Cyperus. J. Am. Mosq. Control. Assoc., 12: 112-118.
- Lampman, R., U. Eckenbach, D. Seigler and R. Novak, 2000. Laboratory evaluations of methylated soy oil and monoterpenes as mosquito larvicides. J. Am. Mosq. Control Assoc., 16: 153-157.
- Floore, T.G., J.C. Dukes, J.B. Cuda, E.T. Schreiber and M.J. Greer, 1998. BVA 2 mosquito larvicide: A new surface oil larvicide for mosquito control. J. Am. Mosq. Control Assoc., 14: 196-199.