Buntan (Citrus grandis Osbeck) fruit flavedo tissues were extracted with hexane, ethyl acetate (EtOAc), n-butanol and methanol (MeOH). The highest concentration of antioxidant activity of the n-butanol extracts as evaluated using 2,2,-diphenyl-l-picrylhydrazyl radical (DPPH). After column chromatographic (CC) separation of this crude extract with silica gel column, three fractions (Fr. A, Fr. B and Fr. C) of the crude extract were obtained from the eluents of CH2Cl2:EtOAc:MeOH (0:9:1, 0:7-5:1 and 0:1:1), gradually. Among them, Fr. B and Fr. C showed better antioxidant activity by using DPPH antioxidant assay. Those fractions were further purified by preparative TLC (PTLC) and the main constituents were find to be glycoside, monosaccharide and total soluble sugar. It was interesting to find that the monosaccharide and glycosides exhibited exceptional DPPH free radical scavenging and β-carotene methods, whereas the identified sucrose, glucose and fructose possess less antioxidant activity. Present findings suggest that the brown materials present in Fr. B had a significant contribution to the antioxidant activity of the crude extract of glycoside.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Matook Saif Mokbel, 2005. Antioxidant Activities of Water-soluble Polysaccharides from Buntan (Citrus grandis Osbeck) Fruit Flavedo Tissues. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 8: 1472-1477.
- Rio, J.A.D., M.D. Fuster, F. Sabater, I. Porras, A.G. Lidon and A. Ortuno, 1997. Selection of citrus varieties highly productive for the neohesperidin dihydrochalcone precursor. Food Chem., 59: 433-437.
- Ortuno, A., I. Reynaldo, M.D. Fuster, J. Botia and J.A.D. Rio et al., 1997. Citrus cultivars with high flavonoid contents in the fruits. Sci. Hortic., 68: 231-236.
- Mokbel, M.S. and F. Hashinaga, 2006. Evaluation of the antioxidant activity of extracts from buntan (Citrus grandis Osbeck) fruit tissues. Food Chem., 94: 529-534.
- Roaffo, A., R. Gianferri, R. Barbieri and E. Brosio, 2005. Ripening of banana fruit monitored by water relaxation and diffusion 1H-NMR measurements. Food Chem., 89: 149-158.
- Iagher, F., J.L. Reicher and M.S. Ganter, 2002. Structure and rheological properties of polysaccharides from mango (Mangifera indica L.) pulp. Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 3: 9-17.
- Desiderio, C., A. Rossi and M. Sinibaldi, 2005. Analysis of flavanone 7 O glycosides in citrus juices by short end capillary electrochromatography. J. Chromatogr., 1081: 99-104.