Data on 259 rabbits from 73 litters representing 8 genotypes were monitored for genetic and non-genetic effects on Individual Kit weight (Ikt), Litter weight (Lwt), Average litter weight (Alt) and Litter size (Ltz) at weaning and post-weaning ages of 35 and 56 days. The least squares model included main effects of genotype, sex, parity of dam, litter size, season of birth of the litter and first-order interactions between genotype, parity and season. Genotype differences were detected for 35-day Ikt (p<0.01), 35-day Lwt (p<0.05), 56-day Ikt (p<0.01) and 56-day Lwt (p<0.05).Crossbred NZWDBD x NZWDBD litters were significantly (p<0.01) superior over other genotypes in Ikt and Lwt.Sex differences (p<0.05) were obtained for 35- day Lwt. The males weighed heavier than females in Lwt at 35 and 56 days. Litter size differed (p<0.01) in Ikt, Lwt and Alt.Litters of seven rabbits outweighed other litters. Parity of dam was significantly important for Ikt (p<0.01), 56-day Ikt and Alt (p<0.05).All the traits were consistent with parity. Season mean values for 35- day Lwt and 56- day Ikt were different with dry season rabbits weighing more than wet seasons`. In this study, genetic and non-genetic effects were important in post- weaning performance of rabbit genotype. As such, these effects should be given appropriate attention in improvement programme for expansion of commercial rabbit industry in the humid tropics.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
C.A. Chineke, 2005. Genetic and Non-genetic Effects on Weaning and Post-weaning Traits in Rabbit Breeds and Crosses. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 8: 1402-1410.
- Herbert, U., 1998. Reproductive performance of rabbit does fed diets containing gliricidia leaf meal from conception through weaning of kits. Niger. J. Anim. Prod., 25: 163-168.
- Lukefahr, S.D., W.D. Hohenboken, P.R. Cheeke and N.M. Patton, 1983. Breed heterotic and diet effects on post weaning litter growth and mortality in rabbits. J. Anim. Sci., 57: 1108-1116.
- Sittman, D.B., W.C. Rollins, K. Sittman and R.B. Casady, 1964. Seasonal variation in reproductive traits of New Zealand white rabbits. J. Rep. Fert., 8: 29-37.
- Iyeghe, G.T., M.E.A. Malik, O.A. Osinowo and A.E.O.M. Aduli, 1993. Genetic and environmental factors affecting weaning weight in rabbit. Proceedings of the Paper presented at the 18th Annual Conference of Nigerian Society of Animal Production, Mar. 21-23, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, pp: 5-5.
- Fitzhugh, H.A., C.R. Long and T.C. Cartwright, 1975. Systems analysis of sources of genetic and environmental variation in efficiency of beef production: Heterosis and complementarity. J. Anim. Sci., 40: 421-432.