Fifty cases of dermatomycoses were recorded from adult males and females at Qena Gvernorate and these included tinea capitis (62 % of total cases), tinea corporis (20 %), tinea versicolor (12 %) and tinea unguium (6 %). Males are more susceptible to tinea capitis, tinea corporis, tinea versicolor and tinea unguium than females. Thirty -one species and 2 varieties belonging to 16 genera were collected, of which 14 were recovered from ringworms and dermatophytes and closely related fungi in the examined cases. These were represented by Aphanoascus fulvescens, A. terreus, Nannizzia fulva, N. obtusa, Trichophyton rubrum and T. soudanense. Also, several saprophytes were found but with different incidence such as: Aspergillus flavus, A. fumigatus, A. niger, A. terreus, Cochliobolus lunatus, Mycosphaerella tassiana, Penicillium chrysogenum and P. citrinum. Twenty -one fungal isolates of dermatophytes and other moulds were able to hydrolyze gelatin but with variable capabilities. Trichophyton rubrum was the most active protease producer and the maximum production were 8 days after incubation at 30 °C with the incorporation of maltose as a carbon source and peptone as a nitrogen source in Sabouraud`s basal medium initially adjusted at pH 6.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
A. H. M. El-Said, 2001. Mycological and Physiological Studies on Fungi, Isolated from Skin Diseases. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 4: 1432-1436.
- Ali-Shtayeh, M.S., H.M. Arda, M. Hassouna and S.F. Shaheen, 1988. Keratinophilic fungi on the hair of cows, donkeys, rabbits, cats and dogs from the West Bank of Jordan. Mycopathologia, 104: 109-121.
- Chadegani, M., A. Momeni, S. Shadzi and M.A. Javaheri, 1987. A study of dermatophytoses in Esfahan (Iran). Mycopathologia, 98: 101-104.
- Gupta, A.K. and J.Q. del Rosso, 2000. An evaluation of intermittent therapies used to treat onychomycosis and other dermatomycoses with the oral antifungal agents. Int. J. Dermatol., 39: 401-411.
- Ogbonna, C.I.C., R.O. Robinson and J.M. Abubakar, 1985. The distribution of ringworm infections among primary school children in Jos, Plateau State of Nigeria. Mycopathology, 89: 101-106.
- Olutiola, P.O. and R.I. Nwaogwugwu, 1982. Growth, sporulation and production of maltase and proteolytic enzymes in Aspergillus aculeatus. Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc., 78: 105-113.
- Velez, H. and F. Diaz, 1985. Onychomycosis due to saprophytic fungi. Mycopathologyia, 91: 87-92.