The present study was conducted aiming to evaluate the possible effect of zinc supplementation as potent antioxidant in counteracting some of the physiological and biochemical alterations induced by subchronic administration of deltamethrin, a synthetic pyrethroid. Deltamethrin (DM) was injected in two doses in male albino rats in presence or absence of zinc. Many physiological and biochemical alteration have been induced by deltamethrin intoxication. Zinc supplementation proved a considerable ability to overcome some but not all of these alterations. The present investigation has also proved the possibility of using the isozyme electrophoretic patterns in testing for xenobiotic intoxication. The rate of gene expression of ALP2 and ALP3 isozymes, but not of ALP1 are stimulated by DM intoxication. In case of ALP3 the rate of gene expression seemed to be dose-dependent.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Emad El-Zayat, Manal El-Halwagy and Mohamed Farid, 2005. Physiological and Biochemical Alterations Induced by Subchronic Administration of Deltamethrin can be Possibly Corrected by Zinc Supplementation in Male Albino Rat. Journal of Biological Sciences, 5: 211-221.
- Casida, J.E., D.W. Gammon, A.H. Glickman and L.J. Lawrence, 1983. Mechanisms of selective action of pyrethroid insecticides. Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol., 23: 413-438.
- Beat, G., W. Andres, S. Gunter and S. Marc, 1997. The pyrethroids permethrin and cyhalothrin are potent inhibitors of the mitochondrial complex 1. Pharm. Exp. Therapeut., 281: 855-860.
- De Zwart, L.L., J.H. Meerman, J.N. Commandeur and N.P. Vermeulen, 1999. Biomarkers of free radical damage: Applications in experimental animals and in humans. Free Radical Biol. Med., 26: 202-226.
- Yarsan, E., A. Bilgili, M. Kanbur and S. Celik, 2002. Effects of deltamethrin on lipid peroxidation in mice. Vet. Hum. Toxicol., 44: 73-75.
- Saxena, P.N. and V. Tomar, 2002. Assessment of comparative hemotoxicity of cybil and fenvalerate in Rattus norvegicus. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 70: 839-846.
- Ansari, M.Z., A. Kumar, R.L. Prasad, A. Basu, B.N. Sahai and A.P. Sinha, 1990. Clinco-biochemical use of serum acetylcholin esrerase folowing treatment with synthetic pyrethroids, cypermethrin and fenvalerate in cattle and buflo experimantally infested Boophilas mcroplus. Indian J. Exp. Biol., 28: 241-244.
- El-Zayat, E.M. and S.A. Amer, 2003. Protective effects of antioxidants on age-related changes in the electrophoretic patterns of cardiac LDH, hepatic ALP and serum proteins in male golden hamster. Cell Biochem. Funct., 21: 137-145.
- Nakahara, M., T. Kanoo, Y. Inai, K. Utsumi, M. Hiramatsu, A. Mori and L. Packer, 1998. Mitochondrial dysfunction in the senescence accelerated mouse (SAM). Free Radical Biol. Med., 24: 85-92.