During entomological surveys conducted by the author in the whole of Balochistan Province, Grassomyia dreyfussi turkestanica Theodor and Mesghali (1964) (N=53) and Grassomyia indica Theodor (1931) (N=54) were collected from fourteen and tweleve localities respectively. Grassomyia dreyfussi turkestanica Theodor and Mesghali (1964) is being reported first time from Pakistan and Grassomyia indica Theodor (1931) is recorded from some new localities of the Province. These localities appear to be the new records of these species in the existing literature to date. Morphology of taxonomic characters not reported and measured by earlier workers are also described, measured and illustrated. Key for the identification of these Pakistanese species is also constructed. Comparative analysis of Balochistan specimens with the published data of these species from other territories is also given.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Juma-Khan Kakarsulemankhel, 2004. New Records of Grassomyia dreyfussi turkestanica Theodor and Mesghali (1964) from Pakistan and Grassomyia indica Theodor (1931) (Diptera, Psychodidae) from Some New Localities of Balochistan Province. Journal of Biological Sciences, 4: 413-422.
- Lewis, D.J., 1967. The phlebotomine sandflies of West Pakistan (Diptera: Psychodidae). Bull. Br. Mus. Nat. Hist. Entomol., 19: 1-59.
- Rab, M.A., F.A. Azmi, J. Iqbal, J. Hamid, A. Ghafoor, M.I. Burney and M.A.S. Rashti, 1986. Cutaneous leishmaniasis in Balochistan: Reservoir host and sandfly vector in Uthal, Lasbela. J. Pak. Med. Assoc., 6: 134-138.
- Killick-Kendrick, R., Y. Tang, M. Killick-Kendrick, R.N. Johnson, P.M. Ngumbi, D.K. Sang and P.G. Lawyer, 1994. Phlebotomine sandflies of Kenya (Diptera, Psychodidae) III. The identification and distriburion of species of the subgenus Larroussius. Ann. Trop. Med. Parasit., 88: 183-196.
- Lawyer, P.G., Y.B. Mebrahtu, P.M. Ngumbi, P. Mwanyumba and J. Mbugua et al., 1991. Phlebotomus guggisbergi Diptera, Psychodidae a vector of Leishmania tropica in Kenya. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., 44: 290-298.
- Lewis, D.J., 1987. Phlebotomine sandflies (Diptera: Psychodidae) from the oriental region. Syst. Entomol., 12: 163-180.