Trichoderma koningii, T. reesei and T. harzianum were tested for their ability to control Sclerotium rolfsii damping-off of tropical pine seedlings. Light microscopic observation on dual culture assay showed that the hyphae of all Trichoderma isolates could grow parallel to the hypae of S. rolfsii. However only T. reesei and T. harzianum coiled around the hyphae of S. rolfsii and formed appresoria and hook-like structures. Both isolates indicated equally high colony growth inhibition toward S. rolfsii. In greenhouse experiment, formulated T. reesei and T. harzianum in alginate beads, applied 4 days before S. rolfsii infestation controlled damping-off in pine seedlings effectively. Disease reduction by formulated all Trichoderma spp. decreased drastically when applied 4 days after or at the same time of S. rolfsii infestation.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
S. M. Widyastuti, Harjono, Sumardi and D. Yuniarti, 2003. Biological Control of Sclerotium rolfsii Damping-off of Tropical Pine (Pinus merkusii) with Three Isolates of Trichoderma spp. . Journal of Biological Sciences, 3: 95-102.
- Bell, D.K., H.D. Wells and C.R. Markham, 1982. In vitro antagonism of Trichoderma species against six fungal plant pathogens. Phytopathology, 72: 379-382.
- Chet, I., G.E. Harman and R. Baker, 1981. Trichoderma hamatum: Its hyphal interactions with Rhizoctonia solani and Pythium spp. Microbiol. Ecol., 7: 29-38.
- Harjono, S. and M. Widyastuti, 2001. Antifungal activity of purified endochitinase produced by biocontrol agent Trichoderma reesei against Ganoderma philippii. Pak. J. Biol. Sci., 4: 1232-1234.
- Schirmbock, M., M. Lorito, Y.L. Wang, C.K. Hayes and I. Arisan-Atac et al., 1994. Parallel formation and synergism of hydrolytic enzymes and peptaibol antibiotics, molecular mechanisms involved in the antagonistic action of Trichoderma harzianum against phytopathogenic fungi. Applied Environ. Microbiol., 60: 4364-4370.
- Widyastuti, S.M., S. Sumardi and P. Sumantoro, 2001. Efektivitas Trichoderma spp. sebagai pengendali hayati terhadap tiga patogen tular tanah pada beberapa jenis tanaman kehutanan. (The effectiveness of Trichoderma spp. as biocontrol agents against three soil-borne pathogens of several forest tree spesies. Indon. J. Plant Protect., 7: 98-107.
- Widyastuti, S.M., S. Sumardi, I. Irfa and H.H. Nurjanto, 2002. Aktivitas penghambatan Trichoderma spp. formulasi terhadap jamur patogen tular tanah secara in vitro (In vitro inhibition activity of formulated Trichoderma spp. against soil-borne pathogenic fungi). J. Perlindungan Tanaman Indonesia, 8: 27-34.
- Widyastuti, S.M., S. Sumardi and S. Widyangsih, 2002. Pengaruh metode penyimpanan terhadap viabilitas dan aktivitas antagonistik isolat Trichoderma spp. dalam menghambat jamur patogen tular tanah (The effects of storage methods to viability and antagonistic activity of Trichoderma spp. against soil-borne pathogenic fungi. Biota, 7: 13-20.