Shochu distillery by-product (SDBP) was applied for culturing the common carp Cyprinus carpio L. Four experimental diets were formulated by mixing commercial fish feed and wheat flour with SDBP (I) and supplementing it either with vitamins (II), fish oil (III), or both (IV). A control diet contained only commercial fish feed and wheat flour. These diets were fed to the fish twice daily for 40 days to estimate weight gain (WG), feed intake (FI), food conversion ratio (FCR) and specific growth rate (SGR). All fish gained weight increments after the feeding experiment, but with no significant difference in FI among the diets except for diet III. Fish fed with diet III had low FCR and SGR, i.e., their growth retardation. However, SDBP might be used as a supplement for fish feed to foster the growth of fish.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
Jeffrie Fredrik Mokolensang, Shigehisa Yamasaki and Yoshio Onoue, 2003. Utilization of Shochu Distillery By-products for Culturing the Common Carp Cyprinus carpio L. Journal of Biological Sciences, 3: 502-507.
- Baardvik, B.M. and M. Jobling, 1990. Effect of size-sorting on biomass gain and individual growth rates in Arctic charr (Salvelinus alpinus L.). Aquaculture, 90: 11-16.
- Bligh, E.G. and W.J. Dyer, 1959. A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Can. J. Biochem. Physiol., 37: 911-917.
- Cho, C.Y., 1992. Feeding systems for rainbow trout and salmonids with reference to current estimates of energy and protein requirement. Aquaculture, 100: 107-123.
- Kaushik, S.J., 1995. Nutrient requirements, supply and utilization in the context of carp culture. Aquaculture, 129: 225-241.
- Mahfudz, L.D., K. Hayashi, M. Ikeda, K. Hamada, A. Ohtsuka and Y. Tomita, 1996. The effective use of shochu distillery by-products as a source of broiler feed. Japan. Poult. Sci., 1: 1-7.
- Mahfudz, L.D., K. Nakashima, A. Ohtsuka and K. Hayashi, 1997. Growth factors for a primary chick muscle cell culture from shochu distillery by-products. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem., 11: 1844-1847.
- Ohtsuka, A., Y. Otsuji and K. Hayashi, 1998. Plasma alpha-tocopherol of broiler chicken is increased by shochu distillery by-product. Jap. Poult. Sci., 35: 132-137.
- Watanabe, T., F. Takashima, C. Ogino and T. Hibiya, 1970. Requirements of young carp for tocopherol deficiency. Bull. Jap. Soc. Sci. Fish., 36: 972-976.
- Watanabe, T., O. Utsue, I. Kobayashi and C. Ogino, 1975. Effects of dietary methyl linoleate and linolenate on growth of carp. Bull. Japan Soc. Sci. Fish., 41: 257-262.