Synergism of malathion with cypermethrin, phosalone, phorate and fenitrothion was tested against Musca domestica L. Malathion and other insecticides were mixed in the ratios of 1:9, 3:7, 5:5, 7:3 and 9:1 and applied topically on adult houseflies and the combined LD50 and co-toxicity of co-efficient were calculated after 24 h of treatment. The unsynergised malathion, cypermethrin, phosalone, phorate and fenitrothion gave topical acute LD50 of 606.81, 31.83, 203.95, 153.98 and 209.50 ng/fly respectively. The combined action of malathion with cypermethrin offered LD50 values of 6.94, 12.71, 22.44, 49.50 and 187.17 ng/fly; with phosalone 27.76, 95.31, 201.90, 411.56 and 1779.42 ng/fly; with phorate 2.40, 6.26, 67.99, 88.18 and 264.65 ng/fly; with fenitrothion 37.59, 111.66, 158.94, 320.35 and 433.79 ng/fly for 1:9, 3:7, 5:5, 7:3 and 9:1 ratios respectively. Among the tested pesticides, malathion found least toxic and in case of phorate, the degree of potentiation increased with the increase of its proportion in the mixture. The investigation revealed that the malathion could be potentiated by mixing other pesticides
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
M. Ferdous Ahmed and M. Khalequzzaman, 2001. Malathion Tested for Synergism with Cypermethrin, Phosalone, Phorate and Fenitrothion on Musca domestica L. . Journal of Biological Sciences, 1: 1028-1030.
- Bues, R., L. Boudinhon, J.F. Toubon and F. D'Arcier, 1999. Geographic and seasonal variability of resistance to insecticides in Cacopsylla pyri L. (Hom., Psyllidae). J. Applied Entomol., 123: 289-298.
- Gera, R. and D.S. Gupta, 1978. Potentiation of malathion by other insecticides against Musca domestica. Pestic. Sci., 9: 151-154.
- Graham, J.S. and H. Janet, 2000. Differential glycosylation produces heterogeneity in elevated esterases associated with insecticide resistance in the brown plant hopper Nilaparvata lugens stal. Insect Biochem. Mol. Biol., 30: 443-453.
- Kanga, L.H.B., D.J. Preevan, J.L. Lier and G.M. Walker, 1999. Monitoring for resistance to organophosphorus, carbamate and pyrethroid insecticides in the oriental fruit moth (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Can. Entomol., 131: 441-450.
- McKenzie, J.A., 2000. The character or the variation: The genetic analysis of the insecticide-resistance phenotype. Bull. Entomol. Res., 90: 3-7.