A survey was conducted to determine the prevalence of gastrointestinal helminthes in local chickens, broilers and layers slaughtered in Makurdi metropolis between September 2007 and April 2008. A total of 440 samples were collected from male and female chickens. Of the total samples examined, 200(45.5%) were from domestic chicken, 140(31.8%) from broilers and 100(22.7%) from layers. Of the total sample examined, 280(63.6%) were infected with one or more species of helminthes. Of the number positive for infections, 103(23.4%) had single infection, 105(23.9%) double infections and 60(13.6%) triple infections. Overall, 165(37.5%) of the samples had Ascaridia galli, 122(27.7%) had Heterakis gallinarum and 214(48.6%) had various tapeworm species. Out of the 200 samples from domestic chickens, 110(55%) were found infected with Ascaridia galli, 80(40%) with Heterakis gallinarum and 145(72.5%) with different tapeworm species. Of the 140 gastrointestinal tracts from broilers, 50(35.7%) were infected with Ascaridia galli, 40(28.6%) with Heterakis gallinarum and 60(42.9%) with various tapeworm species. Out of the 100 gastrointestinal tracts from layers, 5(5%) were infected with Ascaridia galli, 2(2%) with Heterakis gallinarum and 9(9%) with various tapeworm species. The species of tapeworm encountered were Raillietina species, Choanotaenia species and Hymenolepis species. These respective species constitute 30.9%, 5.2% and 3.6% of the tapeworm burdens. This study has highlighted the need for proper medication in flocks in Makurdi.
PDF References Citation
How to cite this article
C.I. Ogbaje, E.O. Agbo and O.J. Ajanusi, 2012. Prevalence of Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Tapeworm Infections in Birds Slaughtered in Makurdi Township. International Journal of Poultry Science, 11: 103-107.
- Fabiyi, J.P., 1972. Incidence of helminths parasites of the domestic fowl in the Vom Area of Benue-plateau State, Nigeria. Bull. Epizootic Dis. Afr., 20: 229-234.
- Luka, S.A. and I.S. Ndams, 2007. Gastrointestinal parasites of domestic chicken Gallus-gallus domesticus Linnaeus 1758 in Samaru, Zaria Nigeria. Sci. World J., 2: 27-29.