Asian Science Citation Index is committed to provide an authoritative, trusted and significant information by the coverage of the most important and influential journals to meet the needs of the global scientific community.  
ASCI Database
308-Lasani Town,
Sargodha Road,
Faisalabad, Pakistan
Fax: +92-41-8815544
Contact Via Web
Suggest a Journal
Articles by S. H. Vermund
Total Records ( 1 ) for S. H. Vermund
  H Ding , C. M Wilson , K Modjarrad , G McGwin , J Tang and S. H. Vermund

Objective  To examine the prevalence and biopsychosocial predictors of suboptimal virologic response to highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) among human immunodeficiency virus–infected adolescents.

Design  Population-based cohort study.

Setting  Sixteen academic medical centers across 13 cities in the United States.

Participants  One hundred fifty-four human immunodeficiency virus–infected adolescents who presented for at least 2 consecutive visits after initiation of HAART.

Main Outcome Measures  Viral load (plasma concentration of human immunodeficiency virus RNA) and CD4+ lymphocyte count.

Results  Of the 154 adolescents enrolled in the study, 50 (32.5%) demonstrated early and sustained virologic suppression while receiving HAART. The remaining 104 adolescents (67.5%) had a poor virologic response. Adequate adherence (>50%)—reported by 70.8% of respondents—was associated with 60% reduced odds of suboptimal virologic suppression in a multivariable logistic regression model (adjusted odds ratio = 0.4; 95% confidence interval, 0.2-1.0). Exposure to suboptimal antiretroviral therapy prior to HAART, on the other hand, was associated with more than 2-fold increased odds of suboptimal virologic response (adjusted odds ratio = 2.6; 95% confidence interval, 1.1-5.7).

Conclusions  Fully two-thirds of human immunodeficiency virus–infected adolescents in the current study demonstrated a suboptimal virologic response to HAART. Nonadherence and prior single or dual antiretroviral therapy were associated with subsequent poor virologic responses to HAART. These predictors of HAART failure echo findings in pediatric and adult populations. Given the unique developmental stage of adolescence, age-specific interventions are indicated to address high rates of nonadherence and therapeutic failure.

Copyright   |   Desclaimer   |    Privacy Policy   |   Browsers   |   Accessibility