Asian Science Citation Index is committed to provide an authoritative, trusted and significant information by the coverage of the most important and influential journals to meet the needs of the global scientific community.  
ASCI Database
308-Lasani Town,
Sargodha Road,
Faisalabad, Pakistan
Fax: +92-41-8815544
Contact Via Web
Suggest a Journal
 
Articles by M. Khairul Islam
Total Records ( 2 ) for M. Khairul Islam
  M. Ullah , Fazlul Karim Chy , Subodh Kumar Sarkar , M. Khairul Islam and Nurul Absar
  Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) were analyzed for their major nutrient contents as well as Vitamin C, minerals and phytochemical constituents. The selected varieties were Charantia C.B. Clarke, Muricata (Willd.), Hybrid green and Hybrid white karala. The result revealed the presence of nutrient constituent among the varieties comprising Total sugar (0.114±0.01% to 0.22±0.02%), Starch (0.74±0.01% to 5.3±0.04%), Total protein (1.17±0.01% to 2.4±0.02%), Fat (0.3±0.02 to 0.8±0.02%) and Vitamin C (9.41±0.26 to 13±0.57mg%). This vegetable is good source of minerals such as Mg, Ca, S and Cu. The fruits contained calcium (0.55±0.30 to 7.0±0.25 mg%) and sulpher (44.9±0.38 to 72.4±0.51 ppm). All the varieties were found to contain tannin, flavonoids, terpenoids, cardiac glycosides, triterpin and sterol, resin, amino acid and phenolic compounds except coumarin and free anthraquinone. Based on the findings from this study, bitter gourd (Momordica charantia), although a bitter known vegetables but has enormous nutritional potentials.
  Subodh Kumar Sarkar , Ujjal Sen , Monoranjan Dhar , Nurul Absar and M. Khairul Islam
  Although strawberry is produced mainly in the cold weather but recently it is a newly introduced crop in the subtropical country like Bangladesh by tissue culture technique. It is not only the excellent sources of Vitamin C, β-Carotene, dietary fiber and some other nutrients but it has also several medicinal importances for human health and nutrition as reported by researchers in different countries other than Bangladesh. The major nutrient contents as well as minerals and vitamins of two varieties, Varaity-1 (Long Conic) and Variety-2 (Globose Conic) of strawberries were analyzed. The result revealed the presence of nutrient constituent among the two varieties, Varaity-1 (Long Conic) and Variety-2 (Globose Conic) of strawberries comprising Total sugar (3.15±0.01 and 2.5±0.02%), Reducing sugar (0.0335±0.01 and 0.048±0.01%), Non-reducing sugar (3.12±0.01 and 2.4±0.01%), Starch (0.395±0.02 and 0.685±0.04%), Water soluble protein (0.785±0.01 and 0.986±0.01%), Total protein (1.2±0.02 and 1.5±0.02%), fat (0.4±0.01 and 0.6±0.02%), Vitamin C (116±0.32 and 179±0.52 mg%), Beta-carotene (3.71±0.25 and 4.15±0.30 μgm%) and minerals such as Magnesium (17.35±0.01 and 17.76±0.01 mg%), Calcium (6.40±0.20 and 11.36±0.40 mg%), Potassium (38.00±0.20 and 43.00±0.01 mg%), Copper (0.1365±0.02 and 0.0275±0.01 mg%), Iron (0.12±0.02 and 0.5415±0.01 mg%), Zinc (0.092±0.01 and 0.049±0.03 mg%), Phosphorous (0.718±0.01 and 0.627±0.02 mg%) and Sulphur (5.56±0.20 and 5.735±0.22 mg%), respectively. Results of present study suggest that Strawberry is a good source of sugar, anti-oxidants and minerals and among both the varieties, Variety-2 (Globose Conic) is rich of sugar, total protein, water soluble protein, Vitamin C, Beta-carotene, Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Iron and Sulphar. In this study, the aqueous extract of two varieties (Long Conic and Globose Conic) of strawberry was tested for anti-microbial activity by disc diffusion method and cytotoxicity by brine shrimp nauplii. From the results, it was found that the aqueous extract of both varieties of strawberry revealed anti-microbial activity against gram positive and gram negative bacteria. It was also found that the aqueous extract of two varieties of strawberry was not shown cytotoxic activity. Even though, the aqueous extract of two varieties of strawberry was not shown toxicity on brine shrimp nauplii but they are showing anti-bacterial activity against gram positive and gram negative bacteria. This result clearly indicates the presence of potent bioactive principles in this aqueous extract of both varieties of strawberry which suggests a need to isolate, purify and evaluate active constituents responsible for this anti-microbial activity.
 
 
 
Copyright   |   Desclaimer   |    Privacy Policy   |   Browsers   |   Accessibility