Subscribe Now Subscribe Today
Science Alert
 
FOLLOW US:     Facebook     Twitter
Blue
   
Curve Top
Trends in Medical Research
  Year: 2009 | Volume: 4 | Issue: 2 | Page No.: 24-29
DOI: 10.3923/tmr.2009.24.29
 
Facebook Twitter Digg Reddit Linkedin StumbleUpon E-mail
Prevalence of Haemoglobin Variants, ABO and Rhesus Blood Groups in Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Nigeria
R.E. Akhigbe, S.F. Ige, A.O. Afolabi, O.M. Azeez, G.J. Adegunlola and J.O. Bamidele

Abstract:
In view of the association of various haemoglobin genotypes and blood groups with different pathological conditions and the risk of alloimmunization from allogeneic blood transfusion seen in patients with sickle cell disease, the incidence of haemoglobin variants, ABO and Rhesus (Rh) blood groups in Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Nigeria, was assessed. This is a retrospective study using medical records of 1122 students (between 18-25 years old) of LAUTECH. Out of the 1122 students, 71.03% were HbAA, 22.19% HbAS, 5.26% HbAC, 0.54% HbSS, 0.80% HbSC and 0.18% HbCC. No incidence of HbSS, HbSC and HbCC in male. The frequencies of A, B, AB and O blood groups were 21.30, 22.73, 2.85 and 53.12%, respectively. The 93.32% were Rhesus positive (Rh+), while the remaining 6.68% were Rhesus negative (Rh¯). Results from this study show a low prevalence of abnormal haemoglobin variants. Blood group O was most predominant, while blood group AB was least dominant. In conclusion, this study shows that there is a decline in the prevalence of haemoglobinopathies in the studied area. Also, routine haemolysin test should be conducted on every group O blood before blood transfusion to reduce the risk of transfusion reaction since some group O blood, which is the predominant blood group, is known to contain immune haemolytic antibodies.
PDF Fulltext XML References Citation Report Citation
 RELATED ARTICLES:
  •    Prevalence of Phenotypes and Genes of ABO and Rhesus (Rh) Blood Groups in Faisalabad, Pakistan
How to cite this article:

R.E. Akhigbe, S.F. Ige, A.O. Afolabi, O.M. Azeez, G.J. Adegunlola and J.O. Bamidele, 2009. Prevalence of Haemoglobin Variants, ABO and Rhesus Blood Groups in Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Nigeria. Trends in Medical Research, 4: 24-29.

DOI: 10.3923/tmr.2009.24.29

URL: https://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=tmr.2009.24.29

 
COMMENT ON THIS PAPER
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 

       

       

Curve Bottom