Subscribe Now Subscribe Today
Science Alert
Curve Top
Research Journal of Environmental Sciences
  Year: 2015 | Volume: 9 | Issue: 6 | Page No.: 256-269
DOI: 10.3923/rjes.2015.256.269
Facebook Twitter Digg Reddit Linkedin StumbleUpon E-mail

Monitoring of Groundwater Salinity for Water Resources Management in Irrigated Areas of Al-Jouf Region, Saudi Arabia

Ahmed A. Al-Naeem

Groundwater salinity is an important limiting factor to sustainable irrigated agriculture in Saudi Arabia. The total groundwater salinity depends on the aquifer geology and its chemical characteristics. The main objective of this study was to monitor groundwater salinity for water resources management in irrigated areas of Al-Jouf Region of Saudi Arabia. A total of 117 water samples were collected from randomly selected small, medium and large agricultural farms from the whole region. The water samples were mainly analyzed for major cation and anions. The total groundwater salinity in less than 1000 mg L–1 in the whole region and falls in the category of medium to high salinity and medium to high sodicity water. Inter-ion relationship is very poor between major cations and anions. The EC and SAR relationship is very poor (R2 = 0.038). About 91% of groundwater is of sodium chloride type waters and the remaining 9% is that of sodium sulfate type water. The relationship between simple SAR and calculated SARs is very strong (R2 = 0.988 and 0.983). The results showed a replenishment of groundwater aquifer with the fresh water intrusion. In conclusion, to achieve higher water use efficiency, improvement water management practices such as application of leaching requirements, adoption of improved irrigation methods (drip and sub-surface irrigation) and proper crop selection need to be followed for increased agricultural production in the region.
PDF Fulltext XML References Citation Report Citation
  •    Irrigation Water Quality Evaluation of Al-Hassa Springs and its Predictive Effects on Soil Properties
How to cite this article:

Ahmed A. Al-Naeem , 2015. Monitoring of Groundwater Salinity for Water Resources Management in Irrigated Areas of Al-Jouf Region, Saudi Arabia. Research Journal of Environmental Sciences, 9: 256-269.

DOI: 10.3923/rjes.2015.256.269






Curve Bottom