Subscribe Now Subscribe Today
Science Alert
 
FOLLOW US:     Facebook     Twitter
Blue
   
Curve Top
Asian Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances
  Year: 2012 | Volume: 7 | Issue: 4 | Page No.: 309-317
DOI: 10.3923/ajava.2012.309.317
Antibiogram Assay of Salmonella Gallinarum and Other Salmonella enterica Serovars of Poultry Origin in India
M.H. Taddele, R. Rathore and K. Dhama

Abstract:
The study was conducted from November 2008 to May 2009 to assess the antimicrobial sensitivity pattern of 22 Salmonella isolates viz., 15 Salmonella Gallinarum strains recovered from various sources of different regions of India including 3 reference strains and 5 other Salmonella enterica serovars (7 isolates) by testing with 16 different antimicrobials. All the isolates including the standard reference Salmonella strains were subjected to antimicrobial sensitivity test using 16 different antimicrobial agents by disc diffusion method. All the Salmonella Gallinarum isolates showed resistance to erythromycin and 86.7% of them were resistant to nalidixic acid. More than 53% of the Gallinarum isolates were either 100% resistant or less sensitive to the commonly used antimicrobials, kanamycin and tetracycline whereas about 93.3% of them were sensitive to gentamicin and amoxicillin/clavulanic acid. Antimicrobial sensitivity pattern for ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin, colistin and sulfa-trimethoprim was around 88.8 and 82% of the isolates were sensitive to enrofloxacin and chloramphenicol. Among other serotypes included in the study S. typhimurium showed maximum resistance against 6 antimicrobials followed by S. kastrup which was resistant to 5 antimicrobials. S. typhimurium was 100% sensitive only to ciprofloxacin. In overall, out of a total of 22 isolates tested for different antimicrobials 4/22 (18.2%) were resistant to at least one antimicrobial and the remaining 81.8% were resistant to at least two or more antimicrobials, supporting the fact for the emergence and widespread presence of multidrug resistant Salmonella species and the importance of the implementation of suitable measures to avoid indiscriminate use of antibiotics in food animals.
PDF Fulltext XML References Citation Report Citation
 RELATED ARTICLES:
  •    Prevalence of Chicken Host and Non-host Adapted Salmonella in Retail Outlet of Chennai, India
  •    Phytonutrients and Nutraceuticals in Vegetables and Their Multi-dimensional Medicinal and Health Benefits for Humans and Their Companion Animals: A Review
  •    Novel and Emerging Therapies Safeguarding Health of Humans and Their Companion Animals: A Review
  •    High Prevalence of Multi-drug Resistant Bacteria in Selected Poultry Farms in Selangor, Malaysia
  •    Epidemiological Characterization of Salmonella gallinarum Isolates of Poultry Origin in India, Employing Two PCR Based Typing Methods of RAPD-PCR and PCR-RFLP
  •    Epidemiological Characterization of Avian Salmonella enterica Serovar Infections in India
  •    Antibiogram and Plasmid Profile Analysis of Isolated Poultry Salmonella of Bangladesh
How to cite this article:

M.H. Taddele, R. Rathore and K. Dhama, 2012. Antibiogram Assay of Salmonella Gallinarum and Other Salmonella enterica Serovars of Poultry Origin in India. Asian Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, 7: 309-317.

DOI: 10.3923/ajava.2012.309.317

URL: https://scialert.net/abstract/?doi=ajava.2012.309.317

 
COMMENT ON THIS PAPER
 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

       

       

Curve Bottom