The present study was undertaken to determine the most common position of mental foramen in a randomly selected Asian Indian population using digital panoramic radiographs. 500 digital panoramic radiographs were evaluated using the software-Sidexis (Sirona, Germany). The location and symmetry of mental foramen in the subjects were determined. All the data was analyzed using chi square test. It was found that the most common position for the mental foramen relative to the teeth in sample was between the first and second premolars (n = 476, 47.6%). The second most common location was in line with second premolar (n = 335, 33.5%) The mental foramen was symmetrical in 285 (57%) radiographs, with the remaining 215 (43%) being asymmetrical. The accurate identification of the mental foramen is important for diagnostic procedures like diagnosis of periapical lesions in mandibular premolar region and for clinical procedures like orthognathic surgery, periapical surgery, osteotomy, dental implant placement. Trauma to the mental nerve is preventable if the mental foramen is located and this knowledge is employed when performing surgical procedures in this area.
S. Rupesh, J. Jasmin Winnier, Sherin Anna John, Tatu Joy, Arun Prasad Rao and Venugopal Reddy, 2011. Radiographic Study of the Location of Mental Foramen in a Randomly Selected Asian Indian Population on Digital Panoramic Radiographs. Journal of Medical Sciences, 11: 90-95.